Jan 28, 2009

Felted Wool Mittens



I have enjoyed making mittens this season from old wool sweaters. I came across the idea through some blogs. The feel and texture of working with felted wool is great! The process is fairly simple. One of my favorite pastimes is visiting thrift shops, so it is easy to find colorful and inexpensive wool sweaters. I wash them in warm soapy water and thenn put them in the dryer to felt. Afterward, I cut out the pattern that I want to use. The felted wool will not fray - so finished edges are optional. With mittens I generally just use a blanket stitch with some embroidery floss in a contrasting color. I like the homespun look this gives. If you want to try this, be sure and use sweaters that are 100% wool for the best results. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shar! Those are just the cutest things! I never thought to do that- what a great idea! Thanks for the kind comment on my post- very much appreciated! Have a great day~
    Patti

    ReplyDelete